Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
The classic fall and holiday flavors of gingerbread are amped up with the addition of chocolate. Plus, hidden inside is a creamy chocolate surprise.
- Prep Time: 1/2 - 1hr + chilling time
- Cook Time: 12-15 min. per batch
- Total Time: 2 hrs +
- Yield: ~6 dozen
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Comfort Classic
For the Cookies
- 1 lb. (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 c. brown sugar
- 2 c. light molasses
- 6 1/4 c. flour
- 5 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 c. cocoa powder
- 4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. boiling water
- 2 10-12 oz pkgs. milk chocolate chips
- Nutella (frozen tsp dollops) ~60-72 for full batch, 30-36 for half batch
- White sugar to roll dough in.
*Before making cookies
- Spoon tsp. dollops of Nutella (or other chocolate, hazelnut spread) on parchment paper lined cookie sheets and freeze solid.
To make the dough:
- Cream together butter, eggs, fresh ginger, brown sugar and molasses.
- Sift flour, spices, and salt (not baking soda), and mix 1/2 sifted mixture into butter mixture.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to remaining flour mixture.
- Then add remaining flour mixture to cookie dough and mix.
- Add chocolate chips, and stir in.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour
To Make Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 325
- Remove frozen Nutella and place in plastic bag or container on ice. You may want to do this 1-2 dozen at a time as it remelts quickly.
- Take ~ 1/4 c. (not packed or heaping, slightly less than top) chilled cookie dough and form a ball.
- Flatten slightly, and place dollop of frozen Nutella in the middle.
- Form dough around the frozen Nutella and roll into a ball.
- Roll cookie dough ball in white sugar until coated.
- Place on lined cookie sheet pan. (I placed 4 x 3 spaced out on 18 x 13″ half cookie sheet, and they baked well without running into each other). Flatten dough ball slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool for a bit on the sheet pan. The cookie will be soft and this will continue to bake cookie to a nice chewy consistency.
- Serve is up with a chilled glass of milk and enjoy!
- Store the dough in refrigerator wrapped tightly (think bread loaf) for up to a week.
- This is a big batch! It is easily halved.
- If you don’t want to do Nutella centers, up the chocolate chips in recipe to ~ 1 1/4-1 1/2 bags. It still tastes really good!
- Cookies store well with slice of bread in container or ziplock bag to absorb excess moisture.
- If you want to try smoking cookies, preheat smoker to 325 (low smoke) with cherry or apple wood and bake 12-15 minutes.
Keywords: Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies, Chocolate Gingerbread, Gingerbread Cookies