Smoked Jerk Chicken Recipe
Smoked, juicy, sweet heat make this take on Jerk Chicken a classic nod, with just a touch of Alaska for fun!
- Prep Time: 20-30 min; marinate 8-16 hours
- Cook Time: 30-150 min.
- Total Time: 9-16 hrs.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Smokin', Grillin'
For the Jerk Sauce:
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium scallions, chopped,
- 2 habanero or Scotch bonnet chiles (*add up to 5 if you like it hot)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. five-spice powder (**Recipe below)
- 1 Tbsp. allspice berries, coarsely ground
- 1 Tbsp. coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger grated, or 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (or oil of choice)
- 1/4 c. lime juice fresh or bottled
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1/4 c. birch syrup (optional)
- 1/2 c. fresh blueberries (optional)
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts bone in, skin on (or chicken cuts of choice, monitor internal temps)
For the Jerk Sauce
- In a food processor, combine the onion, scallions, chiles, garlic, five spice powder, allspice, pepper, thyme, nutmeg, salt, cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar, and blueberries: process to a coarse paste.
- With speed on low, add liquid ingredients soy sauce, oil, lime juice, orange juice, and birch syrup in a steady stream until combined.
For the Chicken
- Place chicken in ziplock bags and pour in jerk sauce. Allow to marinate in refrigerator a minimum of 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove bags prior to cooking and allow chicken to come to room temperature. Reserve marinade for Jerk BBQ Sauce if desired*** (Recipe below).
- Heat smoker to 275 degrees, use pimento wood if available (or wood of choice, we used hickory). Or turn on and heat BBQ grill to medium.
- To smoke, place chicken on rack, insert temperature probe and cook for ~ 2-2 1/2 hours to internal temperature of ~165-170 degrees for white meat and 170-175 degrees for dark meat.
- To grill, turn occasionally until well browned and internal temperature as noted above ~30-40 min.
- Remove chicken when done, cover with foil, and allow to rest ~ 20 minutes.
- Serve it up topped with Jerk BBQ Sauce*** if desired and enjoy.
- *Use disposable gloves to prep habanero or Scotch bonnet chiles. Avoid contact with skin or eyes.
- **Five Spice Recipe from Food Network: 2 tsp. peppercorns, 8 whole star anise, 1 tsp. whole cloves, 1 tsp. fennel seeds, 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Toast the peppercorns in a hot pan until aromatic, about 1 minute. Put into an electric spice or coffee grinder along with the star anise, cloves and fennel seeds and process into a powder. Add the cinnamon and process for a few seconds to combine. Makes ~ 1/4 c., store in an airtight jar.
- *** To make simple Jerk BBQ Sauce, simmer reserved marinade while chicken is cooking. Add 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1/2-3/4 c. tomato product of choice (i.e. catsup, commercial or homemade BBQ sauce (we used the recipe for homemade sauce found on this blog). Reduce to desired consistency.
Keywords: Smoked Jerk Chicken, Jerk Chicken Recipe, Barbecued Jerk Chicken